Broadcasting your content live on the internet, when and as it is happening, is called live streaming. Earlier, uploading videos online used to be done in only one way and on platforms like Youtube and Dailymotion. With advancements in ideas and technology, videos are now of different types and can be broadcast on the internet in many different ways.
Live video streaming is rising to be one of the most influential and engaging mediums of communication today. The incredible leaps and bounds of growth have allowed streaming so easy that it can be done by just about anyone owning a smartphone. With so much potential at a person’s fingertips, there is no shortage of options about how you want to reach out to your audience.
What started with a website called Meerkat, is now across almost all of the mainstream social networking sites like Facebook, Youtube, Instagram and Twitter (Periscope). All the followers that you have on these sites can tune in to your streams and can interact with you during the live webcast itself. Anyone who has an account on these sites is allowed to stream no matter the number of friends or followers they may have. While Meerkat has long since closed down, others older streaming platforms have found their place. Periscope, especially, is thriving after being acquired by Twitter. People want to live stream from whichever platform that they use the most.
Why Use Live Video Streaming?
There are many reasons why people would want to live webcast some exciting and important things happening around them. From professional events to personal adventures, live streaming is an easy way to let people digitally experience something that they are not witnessing in real life, face-to-face.
Some examples of the kind of live streams that are popularly seen online are official meetings, seminars, product launches, travel destinations, concerts, behind the scenes etc. With many things that can be webcast online, all the different platforms come in handy for the streaming process.
Also Read: 10 Ways To Make Your Live Stream Better
So, how do we go about streaming on the top four social media platforms on the internet?
Facebook live streaming is one of the most rapidly expanding platforms out of all the choices that are present. Facebook itself has the most significant number of users and makes it easier for any broadcaster to reach a broader audience with their streams. This is how you can easily set-up a Facebook live :
- Use the facebook app on the device of your choice- smartphone, tablet, laptop.
- When you reach the home page, there is a button for Live videos below the status update box. It comes with a demo video about how to live stream when you click on it the first time.
- Once you understand the tutorial or skip it, Facebook asks you to describe what your own live video is about.
- Once the above requirements are filled, choose who can view your video from the options given there.
- After everything is set, click on the Go Live button to start your Facebook live stream.
- Click on the Finish button when you are done with the stream.
Originally, one of the most popular video sharing platforms on the internet, it is only natural that you also share live videos here as well. This is how you can start Youtube live streaming:
- Open the app on your smartphone or any other device of choice.
- Once you are on the home page, tap on the camera symbol that appears at the bottom right in android phones and top right in iPhones.
- You can tap on ‘go live’ and then add a title that describes the contents of your live stream best before clicking ‘next’.
- Next, it will demand a selfie for video thumbnail, something that you can redo if you don’t like the result.
- After completing all the requirements, you can finally start the stream by tapping on ‘go live’ and end it by tapping on the ‘finish’ button.
Also Read: Facebook Live Vs YouTube Live in 2019
Even after being acquired by Twitter, Periscope live streaming can still be done outside of it and separately. You can even use this to your advantage by putting the same content on two different sites. You can start a Periscope live streaming by following steps:
- Use the Periscope app on your smartphone and tap on the camera symbol that appears at the bottom right.
- After doing that, write a description of your live stream and chose who all can view it from the given options.
- Tap on the ‘go live’ button to start the stream and on ‘stop broadcast’ to end it.
The Instagram live streaming option appears with the stories on the app. Instagram is often used by individuals to do live streams that are more personal and meant for friends as they are a lot more active on Instagram as compared to other social media apps. You may read this ultimate guide to Instagram Live to get more detailed knowledge about this popular live streaming tool.
Here’s how you can start Instagram live streaming:
- Use the Instagram app on your smartphone and tap on the camera symbol on the top left of the display.
- You can click on the ‘live’ button and add a simple description of what your stream is about.