Live online video has proven itself to be one of the most engaging forms of content on today’s internet. Due to the spontaneous nature of live video streaming and the interactivity features offered by most live-streaming platforms, audiences have been hooked to the format for a while now and the numbers are only growing.
One of the major challenges in the live streaming world today is the challenge of captioning live video. With the massive amount of live content that is being streamed online every single day, live video captions are becoming increasingly important.
In this blog, we’re going to take a look at the basics of online captioning, the need for it, and the best methods to implement live captioning on videos.
Basics Of Online Captioning
- There is a popular misconception that captions and subtitles are basically the same, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. While both of them can look the same to the end-user, subtitles are used for comprehension purposes while captions are used to render every aspect of the audio.
- Live captioning on videos is also fundamentally different from subtitles. While subtitles are prepared beforehand and added to a video, captioning live video is a process that happens to live using technology.
- Closed captions refer to captions that are encoded in the video stream which then decoded by the player. These captions can be turned on and off by the player, as opposed to open captions which are burned into the video stream and there’s no way to switch them off.
The Enterprise Need For Live Captioning
One of the major areas where the need for live captioning is the most visible is enterprise and corporate live video streaming. Here are some reasons why every company should focus on implementing captions on their live online video systems:
- Live captioning makes the content more inclusive. It is especially useful for large businesses with offices in different geographical locations that have different languages. With live video captioning being a part of the live video streaming system of the company, you can ensure that the content is accessible to all employees in the corporation and the message is conveyed correctly.
- By including captions on your live video streams, you’re ensuring that the video content can be seen in any place by the viewers even if the area has lousy audio conditions, for example, like in busy airport terminals.
- Including captions on your videos also increases its visibility to search engines. Search engine algorithms give a higher ranking to videos with captions over videos that lack captions. This is because search engines index the text in your video too.
- Lastly, captions can help in providing better analytics for the content. Once you have the transcription of the entire content, it becomes a lot easier to mine the data and obtain inferences from it that are significant and helpful.
Implementing Captions For Your Business
Now that we have established the need to implement captions let’s take a look at some of the considerations you should have when it comes to implementing a captioning solution for your enterprise and business needs.
Here are some tips to have the best possible quality when you’re captioning your live video:
- The first important thing is to consider your use case and why you really need to add live captioning to the live video. Once you have a clearly defined use case, only then can you implement a perfect live captioning solution for your live video system.
- Contact a dedicated live captioning company or a live streaming company to implement captions in your live streaming system. Provide the company all the important details about the content beforehand so they can set up automated cues that’ll make the live captioning process even smoother.
- Put a lot of effort into ensuring the look and style of the captions fit with the look and style of the content. While this is not only important for adhering to professional norms or for aesthetic reasons, good looking captions also improve readability which furthers the effectiveness of the captions.
- Test the live captioning system as many times as possible. In order to ensure the system works perfectly, it needs to be tested a number of times thoroughly. Captioning errors can lead to more severe problems down the line.
While there is a pressing need for live captions in today’s world but not a lot of companies are working towards finding the most effective methods of implementing live captioning.
By investing in a good live captioning system, you’re ensuring that your live content would be more inclusive, clear, visible, and effective.
We hope this blog was helpful to you, keep reading this space for the latest in the world of live streaming and live video.